Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tourism a La Mode

Before even really thinking much about it, I was going to start this blog off with a relatively insincere apology about not posting more blogs since my trip to Paris last weekend. Fortunately, I'm over it. I realized within the past two days back from my adventures in France, the knowledge I get to bring back to the states from Oxford is more than I could have asked for. I have read about double the amount of books I intended to, remain engaged in class on a daily basis, and constantly have stimulating conversations with surprising people. Okay, I admit. This does sound a bit pretentious. But it's not that I didn't expect this to happen here, its that I really didn't expect the students here to pursue any ounce intellect- outside the strenuous mental stimulation of pub crawls. Academically, I am slowly but surely learning to focus on specifics instead of vague contextual generalizations I find so comfortable (especially in my writing). More interestingly, this epiphany is not just one that might produce better grades (which I could honestly careless about in the grand scheme of my education), but perhaps a greater understanding of that realization in my colloquial life, which I have already begin to see emerge.
Blah blah bleepidy blah. Boring--- =)
As far as Paris goes, I am going to have to agree with the rest of its over zealous tourists and say that is was an absolutely stunning city- almost to a disgusting extent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every moment I possibly could have but there is something about a place that oozes so much romance that just makes me want to chunder (*English slang term for vomit). However, my traveling partners and I DID find a way to cure the tourism blues. You know, us uncultured American college students navigating the French metro, finally getting there but not quite getting there, then taking a taxi, finally getting there, finding a bathroom, waiting in line, seeing the attraction and then wanting nothing more than to sit down just about anywhere. Well, have no fear because the Parisians (and I am sure other cities as well) rocked this problem to the core. Paris had these great tour buses that you could take all around the city, get every picture you could have possibly wanted, listen to a patient/well-spoken tour guide via ear phones, sit, and enjoy the city the way it should be enjoyed: with European ease, satisfaction included. The details about the monuments, architecture and museums are boring. But I remember everything I saw that day and if I forget, I am sure the days will bring a even greater appreciation for each photograph I took.
As for this lovely photograph...When jumping off the tour bus for the first time (yes, it was hop-on-hop-off, so great. Right??) We stopped at Notre Dame and as I was taking a stupid amount a pictures I found what I look for most when surrounded by hundreds of sweaty, dirty tourists- children completely disregarding sanitation. You're probably thinking, "D, are you batshit crazy? That little boy is practically drinking out of a water fountain- totally harmless." But what you don't know is how absolutely gnarly the water is in Europe in general. In fact, most of the sinks indicate "NOT drinking water." Which makes me wonder a) where the water is coming from and b) who decided that it was okay for tap water to not be human friendly?
Oh Paris, thank you for being all shades of wretched, disgusting and beautiful.
TMifE,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment